Saturday 12 April 2014

1932 by Karen M Cox

This is one of my favourite 'Pride and Prejudice' - inspired novels, and it's free tomorrow (13 April 2014) on kindle, along with some other Austenesque reads, as part of a Meryton Press promotion.  So I thought that to persuade you that you should download it, I'd share with you my thoughts on this book:

1932 is a 'Pride and Prejudice'-inspired story set in the US in the early 30s. Dr Bennet, a college professor, has lost his job due to the university cutting staff. Having made no arrangements to safeguard his family's future and having lost money in the crash & depression the Bennets' home is going to be repossessed. Bennet goes to his brother in law in desperation. Luckily, Dr Gardiner has a solution; the Bennets can relocate to Meryton, where the Gardiner family farm is, and try to scape enough to live on.

On their arrival in Meryton, Lizzy first encounters Mr Darcy, a well-off farmer who she is sure disapproves of the whole Bennet clan. He lives with his sister Georgiana and her two small children. Lizzy goes to work for her uncle, who is a vet, and her path crosses again with Darcy when his animals need treatment. Jane gets a job working for Mr Bingley, a rich store owner who lives with his spinster aunts, Caroline and Louisa. Caroline is older than Mr Darcy (haha!), but still thinks she's in with a chance of becoming his wife, and she's just as sharp-tongued as in P&P.

The story loosely follows the plot of Pride and Prejudice but with one major variation. Lizzy's feelings towards Darcy start to soften, but they have distance between them, partly due to each of them being too proud, but also by secrets that both of them are keeping from each other.

One of the things I particularly enjoyed about 1932 is all the elements from P&P that are included. Aside from the characters, many of whom appear, we have a Netherfield ball, Hunsford, obnoxious proposal, and lots of dialogue that echoes dialogue from the original, added to a lovely romance. One word of warning though, is that there are a few sex scenes in this book, but nothing very explicit or pre-marital and one of them is notable for not romanticising things. If you read the book you'll know which one I'm referring to!

I'd really recommend this book, I absolutely loved it, and I've actually read it a few times now!


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful review, Ceri! I love how unique this variation is and like you said, how all the elements or main parts of P&P are cleverly inserted! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith! One of the things I like to do with modern variations is look for the echoes back to Pride and Prejudice. I always feel a little cheated if I can't find them, so I was glad to see them here.

      I can thank you for me reading this book, as I first became aware of it from Austenesque Reviews. I was looking through some of your old reviews one day and read your review of this one, which bumped it up my reading list :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely review, Ceri - thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed '1932' enough to recommend it :)
    Best,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, thanks for commenting. I really did enjoy this one, it's a wonderful update. Well done you!

      Delete
  3. Hi Ceri, great review and you recommended this to me recently! I have just downloaded it, I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you got the other ones too! I have only read the other Karen M Cox one of the free ones, 'Find Wonder in All Things' which is an update of Persuasion, but I really enjoyed that one too.

      It's lovely to get a free book, but when you get a really good book free it's even better :)

      Delete
  4. Yes Ceri I got them all :) but I missed Saturdays giveaways but got some anyway as they were quite cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those ones, but I've not read them. I've heard they are good though, so I hope to get to them sometime :)

      Delete

If you're not logged in to Google please leave your name in your comment or it will post as anonymous. Thanks! - Ceri