Friday 1 July 2016

Planned Reading for July 2016

Hello everybody! It's the first of the month again. My reading took a little dip at the end of last month. This is not the place for politics, but there was an unexpected poll result at the end of June which left me feeling discombobulated and affected my reading. I have some books I wanted to read in June that I didn't get to, and I am behind on my reviews too, so I have some catching up to do in July, but I also have some things planned that I'd like to share with you:


Awesome booky goodness
I had a very lucky month last month, receiving some awesome booky goodness in the post. The lovely J Dawn King sent me two books, I won Cassandra Grafton and Ada Bright's new book plus some other lovely things, and I received two non-JAFF books from author Noelle Adams, who is a writer of contemporary romance that I enjoy. I am going to have to plan some of these into my August/September reading as I already have more planned into July than I can possibly get to!

Book cover: Mr Darcy's Journey by Abigail Reynolds
I also have some visitors due to stop by this month. First up is Abigail Reynolds, who is the writer of my two favourite JAFF ever (no pressure there!). Abigail's recent release, 'Mr Darcy's Journey', puts some real-life events into an Austenesque story. 'Pride & Prejudice' was originally written quite a while before it was finally published. The story appears to be set around 1812/13, but in real life the North of England was scene of Luddite riots so it would be less likely that the Gardiners would have chosen to go North for their holiday. In this story the characters are affected by these real-life events. I am very excited to read this one.

Book cover: Darcy by Any Other Name by Laura Hile
I also hope to welcome Laura Hile, who has written 'Darcy by Any Other Name' which has a really fun premise. What if... Mr Collins and Mr Darcy woke up in the other's body?! Yes, it's 'Freaky Friday' meets 'Pride & Prejudice', and I believe the swap happens while Mr Collins is staying at Meryton, so it's an interesting time for the swap, plenty of chances for interactions with a certain Miss Bennet.

Book cover: The Last Adventure of the Scarlet Pimpernel
Jack Caldwell has a new book coming out soon, 'The Last Adventure of the Scarlet Pimpernel' which I plan to read this month. This book has characters descended from the Scarlet Pimpernel and also features Frederick Tilney from Northanger Abbey (Henry Tilney's brother). I was advised that it might be helpful to have an awareness of 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' before I read this one, to get the fullest effect. I read the book last month... and then I watched the DVD, because it was such an exciting story! I'm expecting some serious swashbuckling in this book.

I have some other things lined up too, but I'll surprise you with those closer to the time :) What do you have lined up to read this month? Let me know in the comments!

18 comments:

  1. I have a few of those on my kindle now. But I also will start editing a JAFF from Beau North & Brooke West so not much time for recreational reading. But I do hope to get a couple chapters in a night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina. I'll be interested to find out more about the Beau North/Brooke West book when the time comes :) Enjoy your reading!

      Delete
  2. Happy July, Ceri!

    (I know, right? How can summer be passing so quickly?) I'll be in great company on your blog, I see. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how this year has gone so fast, Laura, we're already past the halfway point! Looking forward to seeing Darcy in Collins' shoes (yikes!).

      Delete
  3. Laura Hile's book is burning a hole in my kindle app,so I've got to read this one. I'm currently reading Abagail's Mr Darcy's noble connections,which I think is very sweet!! Also plan on reading The Elizabeth Papers.
    So many great books,so little time!! Happy reading to all your readers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary. I have read Mr Darcy's Noble Connections many times and never reviewed it. I just loved it. The hairpins, the heather, the forced engagement at just the wrong time. I hope you enjoy the other books when you get to them too :)

      Delete
    2. My favorite was when he gives her the knife and suggests she use it. I almost swooned!!! I haven't read the whole book more than once, but confess to reading the scene at the moors dozens of times. Sigh!!!

      Delete
    3. They are wonderful scenes, aren't they Joy. I think of the moors scenes whenever I see heather in somebody's garden... sigh!

      Delete
  4. Life has a way of changing things for sure. Looks like you have some good ones set up with the treasures from the post box and your guests. :) Looking forward to your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophia. I look forward to sharing my thoughts on them too! I hope you have some good reading lined up this month.

      Delete
  5. I confess I have not read The Scarlet Pimpernel although I have read references to it many times. As I have enjoyed those books of Jack's which I have read I will have to read that for find the DVD in order to then read this and know the background. Good luck with publishing and with reading to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I asked Jack whether I'd get more out of his book if I'd read The Scarlet Pimpernel and he said it would be good to know the story, but a DVD would do as well as the book, because the versions he's seen are very good. I did both, book and DVD and the DVD I watched (Jane Seymour/Anthony Andrews), while some details varied, stayed very close to the spirit of the book. I hope to post a review of the book/dvd this month. I hope you have some good reading this month, Sheila!

      Delete
  6. Carole in Canada2 July 2016 at 16:02

    What a great line up and I can well imagine your discombobulation of the political issue over there. You were so lucky to win the prize package from Cassandra and Ada! As for me, I plan to read 'The Elizabeth Papers'(Jenetta James), 'Miss Darcy's Companion'(Joana Starnes)'The Persuasion of Miss Jane Austen' (Shannon Winslow) among others. I think I will add 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' to my line up as I so enjoyed Jack's 'Three Colonels' (may re-read this one)and look forward to reading his latest that will be coming out.

    Look forward to all your guests and just loved Laura Hile's body swap book! J. Dawn King is an absolute favourite but I have a method to my madness when deciding which books to read when as I have such a longgggg wishlist! Oh and a non-JAFF book I hope to read this month is the latest by Anna Huber's Lady Darby Mystery series 'As Death Draws Near'.

    Have a wonderful July and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole! Yes, it's very unsettling to have things in such upheaval. I have been too unsettled to read much, but I'm getting through it now, thankfully! There is nothing I can do about things, no point fretting.

      You have some real treats lined up to read this month - I read the first two books that you mentioned and loved them both. I haven't read the two later ones you mentioned, so I'll look forward to seeing what you think of them.

      I feel your pain with the loooong wishlist - I can never read as fast as I'd like! I hope you have an enjoyable reading month.

      Delete
  7. Love your reading list, Ceri, and can't wait to hear what you thought of them! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joana! I look forward to sharing my thoughts. I hope you have a good reading month (and a good writing month, for that matter!)

      Delete
  8. You have Cassandra and Ada's book already? JEALOUS!!!

    What a line-up you have, Ceri. I've been in more of a writing than reading mode lately so am WAY behind. One day soon, I hope, I'll tackle my read pile. One day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy! I can't believe I have an early copy of Cassandra and Ada's book and not the time to read it, and the same with the gorgeous books that you sent me! I hope to read at least some of these next month.

      I am glad to hear you're deep in writing mode, but I hope you manage to save yourself some reading time too :)

      Delete

If you're not logged in to Google please leave your name in your comment or it will post as anonymous. Thanks! - Ceri